Friday, April 28, 2017

Software Craftsman Chapters 9 and 10

Chapter 9

There a lot of good point in this that I never gave thought to. I don’t believe I will be in a position to hire anyone for a while, but this chapter gives some good tips on recruitment. He makes a good point in how companies don’t get better because they are hiring the wrong people or advertising the wrong skill set etc. In my limited experience looking over job boards fr the CS field there does seem to be a lot of boiler plate style templates. I also notice that they are usually looking for x number of years experience in such and such and he is right that the number of years is not a very good judgment tool and experience. I have seen people which less time in a language that know 10 times more and are that much better than people with 10 years experience so it an uneven gauge. I also agree that companies should be involved with the community and have seen companies that do this. I use the web application meet up and go to presentations and talks by various companies in the field and they are great for networking as well as talking to potential new hires and such. It is also good to see for the person who is looking for a job in that they get to see what the company is all about and the people that work there.

Overall I think this chapter was well put together and there are a good amount of tips for the employer as well as future employees. I will probably refer back to this chapter in the future.

Chapter 10

I like how he described the interview as a business negotiation. I never thought of it like that, but that is indeed what it is. The company has its outlooks and is looking to keep up revenue and the prospective employee that could possibly help in achieving said goals and or challenges. His points on the hiring companies perspective is good. I feel like that when hiring people you would want hem to ask questions about the company. It shows interest as well as commitment to the company in a sense because they took the time to research th place and find out things about it so they could ask questions. There are time though that maybe the questions they had were answered during the interview, but still that should be stated. There are a lot of good points, but a lot are also in my opinion common sense like paying attention to how enthusiastic the person is when talking about technology or their previous jobs and experience, as well as project thy have worked on. If you have a dull unmotivated rock sitting opposite you, you may want to end it there.

I would have never given much thought about paying attention to what the interviewers role in the company is, but he makes a good point about interviewers that aren’t developers and are instead project leads or managers. I would have never thought that might mean that developers may not be empowered to make decisions. The single interview process is also interesting and worth noting. It would not have dawned on me that the company might be in a hurry and doesn’t take the time to hire the right people. I think overall there are some great points here. I like how he describes a good interview and I couldn’t put it better myself. “A good interview is like a good an informal chat between passionate developers.” I have been on interviews like this and have been hired. They are good because both parties are at ease and it makes it easier to be open about yourself. I agree as well about it being a mistake to hire someone without seeing them code or their code at least. It can give a good glimpse at their confidence and experience as well as decision making skills and the ability to take constructive criticism. Bringing your computer I don’t think I would have thought of, but it is a good idea so they can see what tools you have and use etc. Last but not least I can’t agree more with developers must interview developers.


Overall another good chapter with a lot of good information that I will probably revisit in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment