Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Clean Coder Chapters 11 and 12

This is an interesting chapter. I have been in many different types of high pressure situations, some that required in the moment think on your toes stuff in the military and other just plain old the boss or company wants this and wants it yesterday type stuff, but to be honest I have never given it much thought as far as what I do in or out of crisis. I like how he keeps hammering home to not make commitments you cannot keep though, that will cause a crisis for sure. A good bit of his points are in my opinion common sense ways to avoid unneeded pressure. Keep your code clean, keep your system and design clean etc., but others I had never given thought to, especially in th crisis part where he says, “You know what you believe by observing yourself in a crisis.”, so true. Thinking back on my life and some of the situations I have been in I have thrown out the norm of doing things and switched to a whole new set of rules, but I think in some cases that needs to happen. I do agree though that in this field you should stick with what works for you in and out of crisis as there should be no need to change how you do things as long as you have a system that is efficient and clean.
 
He gives some great tips that should be lived by, don’t panic, communicate, rely on your discipline, and get help. Those are great tips and I like. I mean I guess it is easier said than done, but practicing these things outside of crisis will make you handle them better. The biggest pieces of advice I could give from this and he says also is “SLOW DOWN, COMMUNICATE, and get HELP!!”. There is nothing worth a heart attack or stress related illness over a job. Calm, cool and collective they say. Communication is huge and goes hand in hand with the get help part. Speak up, don’t be afraid to ask questions or for help, this isn’t grade school and no one is going to blow you off or laugh at you. I think the best tip is avoid pressure if you can.


The more of the book that I read the more I think it grows on me in a way. I see so much of what he has gone through in my own life and the trials I have endured. It fascinates me that no matter what industry you are in, it seems like you run into the same scenarios or strategies. I know this chapter is about collaboration and I agree with him in that working together as a team is usually better than by yourself no matter how much you think working alone may be better for you. In my opinion the more heads the better off you are to an extent. I mean of course the people on the team have to have a similar mindset and all striving towards one goal, but as long as that is the case things usually go a bit better. The team keeps itself in check and egos are hard to get in the way. I do get though that most of us computer guys and gals are geeks and don’t work well with others in a normal sort of way (whatever the definition of normal is) but we do however work together well with one another I think. Like he says though, there are of course times when it is right to work alone and that is fine, but I like his idea of it being best to collaborate with others and pair a large fraction of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment